Labels

Thursday 20 June 2013

Back to my roots- Polish Borscht

Now that winter has set in, with endless grey rainy days determined to bring on the winter sniffles, I was inspired to rekindle my connection to my Polish ancestry and make a hearty beetroot Borscht.  Armed with kilos of yummy organic beetroot purchased from the Melville st. farm-gate market, I set about preparing my soup, using a Jewish recipe that was aired on SBS food by the lovely and rustic chef Ramona Koval.  There are many variations of borscht, clear, thick, beef, but I have found this one easy, and delicious.

Vibrant colours of beetroot and carrot, once boiled

1kg of beetroot, peeled, I also added a couple of large purple carrots, boiled in chicken stock or water with a squeeze of lemon until tender.  Drain beetroot and cut up roughly return to pot with another squeeze of lemon, a bunch of chopped dill, 1 chopped onion, 3 or so potatoes, peeled and diced, 1tsp of sugar, and pepper and salt to taste. Cover with water and cook again for half and hour, season again if needed. Puree.

Now, you can serve borscht chilled or hot, depending on the time of the year, with a dollop of natural yoghurt or sour cream and a sprinkling of fresh dill.  It goes well with heavy Eastern European style breads, such as a dark rye (such as Jackman and Mcross).  Traditionally borscht is also served with boiled potatoes, dumplings or perogies, a stuffed dumpling made from unleavened dough.  Enjoy this hearty and healthy winter's soup and relish in its striking and glorious colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment